26.2 miles or 42 kilometres through a variety of settings including Limerick’s city centre, the University of Limerick, picturesque countryside and riverside locations.
The marathon starts at the award winning People’s Park surrounded by Georgian Limerick. The course then heads to Childers Road – Rosbrien Rd – Punches Close – O’Connell Ave – Glentworth Street – Henry Street.
The route then heads onto Clare Street and taking in the historic Canal Bank. Then to the University and Castletroy area as far as Vistakon, taking in the superb University Campus and the breath-taking Living Bridge. This route is a very popular running route for runners of all abilities including many world champions visiting Ger Hartman at the University Arena.
The marathon course then returns to the city centre along the newly upgraded Plassey bank reaching the halfway point on Parnell Street.
The route then heads to the Raheen area, passing old Crescent Rugby club on the Rosbrien road. The route travels through Churchfield Meadow’s and then along the Mulcair road in Dooradoyle road before returning to the city centre via Rosbrien road again.
The route then goes to the West side of the River Shannon crossing Sarsfield bridge and turning onto O’Callaghan strand. The route circles the North circular road and then joins at the Ennis road. From union cross on the Ennis road the route travels outbound to the Gaelic Grounds. At the Gaelic grounds the route travels into Brookville and then exits once again at the Gaelic grounds at Corrib drive. From here the route travels along the Ennis road crossing Sarsfield bridge before finishing on O’Connell street outside the Augustinian Church
RULES & PRIZES
1. Prizes are awarded individually and equally in Male and Female categories
2. There must be 3 or more entries to constitute a prize-winning category
3. Age qualification as at event day
4. Age category applied as per Date of Birth supplied
5. Incorrect category assignment must be highlighted prior to race day. This is viewable on the website
6. The Great Limerick Run operates a ‘one person, one prize’ policy
7. Participants in the Great Limerick Run who are placed in more than one category are awarded the prize of greater value
8. Placings will be awarded on gun time not chip time. i.e. whoever crosses the line first wins (not their chip time)
9. All bonus payments will be in addition to any prize money.
10. Times used will be as supplied by the official race timer on the day.
11. Marathon must be completed within 6 hours. Course closes at 3:00PM
12. Time bonus are non cumulative:
Example 1: If an male runner aged under 35 finishes in 4th place in a time of 2hrs 24mins and 52seconds the bonus assigned will be the sub 2:25 bonus of €600 in total. No placed prized money is paid as only positions 1,2&3 recieve placing prize money.
Example 2: If a female athlete finishes in second place in a time of 2hrs 47mins and 20seconds, then the following prize will be presented (second overall is €750)and (sub 2:48 is €300) making the Total prize value €1050.
FIRST: €1000 • SECOND: €750 • THIRD: €500
OVER 35: €150 • OVER 45: €150 • OVER 55: €150 • OVER 65: €150
TIME BONUS (MALE): As follows:
SUB 2:30: €100 • SUB 2:29: €200 • SUB 2:28: €300 • SUB 2:27: €400 • SUB 2:26: €500 • SUB 2:25: €600 • SUB 2:24: €700 • SUB 2:23: €800 • SUB 2:22: €900 • SUB 2:21: €1000 • SUB 2:20: €1250 • SUB 2:19: €1500 •
SUB 2:18: €2000
TIME BONUS (FEMALE): As follows:
SUB 2:50: €100 • SUB 2:49: €200 • SUB 2:48: €300 • SUB 2:47: €400 • SUB 2:46: €500 • SUB 2:45: €600 • SUB 2:44: €700 • SUB 2:43: €800 • SUB 2:42: €900 • SUB 2:41: €1000 • SUB 2:40: €1250 • SUB 2:39: €1500 •
SUB 2:38: €2000
Time Bonus are awarded to Irish Athletes only. Irish Atheletes are defined as holders of valid Irish Passport at time of event.
FULL MARATHON FAQs
9.00am – Full marathon runners will commence at 9:00am.
Yes pacemakers will be available at 3hrs, 3hrs 15mins, 3 hrs 30 mins, 3 hrs 45 mins, 4hrs, 4 hrs 30 mins and 5hrs
MileS 3, 6, 8.5, 12, 15, 17.5, 20, 22, 23.5, 25.5
Marathon course closes at 3:00PM. The first half of the course closes at 12 noon.
Yes chips are used. Splits are taken at 10 kilometres, halfway and 30 kilometres.
Results will be published on the website within 24 hours.